Allow us to assist you with our extensive experience as professionals in the industry. To begin getting prepared, here are some of the basic steps in the home buying process for you to get familiar with.
Initial Phase – Financial Preparation
- Prepare financially: Audit your own personal finances. This should include how much money you plan on putting down as well as what you are comfortable spending on a monthly basis for your mortgage payment. Once you decided to begin this process of a purchase, it is a good idea to keep from making any larger expenditures as this can affect the amount of a loan that you apply for.
- Consult with a Mortgage Broker: Once you have a grasp your personal finances, contact a mortgage broker and find out exactly what you will qualify for in regards to an amount of a loan. Your broker will also create a pre-approval letter that will accompany your offer when that time comes.
Second Phase – Viewing Properties
- Touring Properties for Sale: This is the best part of the home buying process. Once you have identified your budget, then we will set up searches for properties within those parameters. Things like bed/bath count, square footage size as well as exactly where you want to be looking should be considered. Each town offers a variety of different amenities and accessibility. We can be a resource in helping you figure out which towns may fit your criteria best based on our knowledge and experience.
Third Phase – Offer and Closing
- Offer to Purchase: Once we find the property that you wish to make an offer on, it is important to move quickly. We will provide current comps in each town we look in that will help confirm the best offer for us to negotiate. Having a good understanding of the current market will help you move quickly through the offer process and give you the best chance at getting the home you want.
- Up to 7 Days after your accepted offer, you will want to have a home inspection: The best way to identify all details of the home is to hire a professional inspector. They will give the home a review and inform you of the current condition along with any future repairs that are necessary. This report will aid you in budgeting for the future or negotiate the terms of your deal if there are larger or unanticipated work to be done.
- 10 to 14 Days after offer, enter contract: After the satisfactory home inspection has been completed it is time to solidify all terms and enter contract. Often referred to as the “P&S” the Purchase and Sale agreement will iron out all of the terms and conditions of the deal. The deposit should be paid along with the signing of this document. These monies will be held in escrow until released the day of your closing.
- 45-60 days from the offer you will typically close. This is a normal time frame for most deals, but no two deals are exactly alike so additional contingencies or desired dates may play a role in process.
Let us be your resource for any additional questions. Please always feel free to ask about any part of the process and let our expertise work for you.